Prince of Denmark, 152 Portland Road, South Norwood SE25

South Norwood pub history index

Latterly the Oceans Apart

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Surrey .

The following entries are in this format:

Residents at this address

The Duke of Clarence is also located in the 1871 census as Prince of Denmark, Holland Terrace, Portland Road, Croyden; with James Griffith aged 37 years born in Epsom - Licensed Victualler employing one man - Ellen Griffith aged 25 years, wife and children William aged 3 years, and Thomas aged 2 years & Nellie is 11 months. *

James Griffith went on to run the Waddon Arms, 90 Waddon New Road, West Croydon where he died in 1895; and also the Manor House, East India road in 1881, and the Royal Mason in Poplar in the 1891 census. He married Ellen Cross in 1865 at Shoreditch when he was 37, and she was 19. He was a carpenter of 26 Cross road, as was his father, Thomas Griffiths, a carpenter; whilst her father was listed as James Cross, Gentleman. *

1871/James Griffiths/Licensed Victualler/37/Epsom, Surrey/Census *
1871/Ellen Griffiths/Wife/25/Hammersmith, Middlesex/Census
1871/William Griffiths/Son/3/Norwood, Surrey/Census
1871/Thomas Griffiths/Son/2/Norwood, Surrey/Census
1871/Nellie Griffiths/Daughter/11 months/Norwood, Surrey/Census
1871/Stephen J Hive/Pot Man/19/East Wickham, Kent/Census
1871/Annie Homes/Domestic Servant/13/Boston, Lincolnshire/Census

1891/John Edward Warrell, Prince of Denmark, 152 Portland road, South Norwood/../../Kelly’s Directory

1900/P O'Callaghan/../../../Post Office Directory

1901/Patrick O'Callaghan/Licensed Victualler/62/Ireland/Census
1901/Hannah O'Callaghan/Wife/56/Kidderminster, Worcestershire/Census
1901/Alice O'Callaghan/Daughter/28/City, London/Census
1901/Herbert Weidman/Potman/22/City, London/Census
1901/Sarah Wilkins/Domestic Servant/22/Stepney, Essex/Census

Croydon Times 02 March 1904
The license of the Prince of Denmark, Portland road, South Norwood , was transferred from John Henry Taylor to Fred Fletcher, of Barking road, Canning Town.

Norwood News 17 February 1912
The license of the Prince of Denmark public house, Portland Road, South Norwood was transferred from E G Bates to John Matthew Booth

1913/John Matthew Booth/.. /../../Kelly’s Directory

1918/John Matthew Booth/.. /../../Kelly’s Directory

By 1921, John Matthew Booth is at the Red Deer, 279 Brighton Road, Croydon

1937/Henry Charles Evans/.. /../../Kelly’s Directory

* Provided By Nick Reeson

And Last updated on: Monday, 19-Feb-2024 16:05:38 GMT