You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

History of South Ockendon in 1863 Whites Directory

South Ockendon 1863 Whites Directory

OCKENDON (SOUTH) is a large village, partly round the margin of a green, 8 miles S.E. by E. of Romford, and 8 miles N.N.W. of Grays Station. Its parish has generally a flat surface, and contains 1267 souls, and 2872 acres of land, formerly held by the Mundeville, de la Rokele, Bruyn, and other families. The manor of Bruyns, with the estate of South Ockendon Hall, (666A.), belongs to Richd. Benyon, Esq. The other manor in this parish, called Groves, belongs to E. Gurney, Esq.; but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir T. B. Lennard, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Nicholas) is an ancient structure, with a round embattled tower, formerly crowned by a wooden spire, which was burnt by lightning in 1638. The chief door has a fine Norman arch of elaborate workmanship. In the chancel are several memorials of the knightly families of Bruyn and Saltonstall. The rectory, valued in KB. at 33. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at 754, is in the patronage of the Rev. P. Laurence, and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Eve, M.A., who has 13A. of glebe, and an old moated Rectory House. The tithes were commuted in 1832, for 834 per annum. Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1813, at the cost of 900. In 1828, the late John Cliff, Esq., who built the minister's house, left 40 a year for the minister, and 5 a year for the poor. Here is a small Wesleyan. Chapel, and a British School. Ockendon Mutual Benefit Society, established 12 years ago, has about 400 members, and a stock of about 650.
POST OFFICE at Henry Smith's, Letters via Romford.
Collis Thomas, ironmonger & tinner
Davey Isaac, joiner and builder
Eve Rev. Henry, MA. Rectory
Jordison Rt. Binks, surgeon & regr.
Morison Rev. Joseph, (Independent)
Nokes Chas. corn miller; h West Thurrock
Priestley Ts. schoolmaster
Prince John, saddler, etc
Rainbird Wm, baker & shopkeeper
Springham Wm. Fdk. blacksmith
Wheeler Thomas, smith & farrier
Woodthorpe Harriet, schoolmistress

INNS AND TAVERNS

Plough, George William Clarke
King's Head, Joseph Wright
Red Lion, Saml. Sweeting, carpenter


BEERHOUSES.

Hayden Thomas
Olley Gamaliel

BOOT & SHOEMAKERS

Burchell James
Matthews George
Mead George
Mead Thomas
Mead William
West James
BUTCHERS

Poston James
Troll Thomas

FARMERS
Bishop Daniel
Cliff William
Good James
Morning Abm
Smith Hy jun, Glasscocks
Sturgeon Chas, Hall
Sturgeon Henry
Turp Abraham
Wagstaff Rt.& Ts.
Wallis Stephen
Walters Thomas
Wordley Thos.

GROCERS
Partridge Ann
Pugh Thomas
Smith Henry

WHEELWRIGHTS,

Elsdon William
Sprongham Athr

CARRIERS.
Thos. Collis, to Romford, wed
William Holand, daily to Grays Station


And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 14:13:56 GMT